22.11.14

On Bad Days.

I have been having really crappy days the past few weeks. They say bad things happen in threes. In the past three weeks these happened:

 

  • Lost all my contacts, apps, important data on my phone – just because I was so stupid to restore the phone’s settings without doing a back-up. Important lesson learned right there.
  • A few days after that stupid restore, my Facebook account got disabled. I don’t want to get into the details. I know this is so shallow. but that means lost photos, memories, etc. And it goes back to the same point made above: always have a back-up.
  • And then just a week ago, my phone gave up on me. Died. One of my officemates tried to fix it, but it just won’t budge. I was off the grid for almost a week because I didn’t have a freaking back-up phone.


We fail to see the light at the end of the tunnel during bad, dark days. I know that things like this happen for a reason… no matter how shallow my issues are, I know one thing: in life, we all need a back-up plan.

We cannot control everything that happens to us… and we can never know what each day may bring. Some people like to live with a plan in mind… and if something doesn’t go as planned, they’re thrown off the balance. Some, on the other hand, just live one day at a time. I am a little bit of both, I don’t have grand plans for my life. Hell, I haven’t even saved up enough to keep me through the rest of the year… I try not to live one day at a time, because I like knowing what’s next. So I try to plan a little bit, but I still enjoy some adventure and spontaneity. I just plan for the next few weeks and months – you know, just for little stuff like where and when my next vacation would be, what I want to achieve in my so-called career, what I want to shop for… Yeah, little things but just like those who have their lives mapped out to a T, when something doesn’t go my way, I flip out.

The past few weeks may have been hard, but things are looking up now. I am back on track, to say the least. I have a few things to look forward to in the next few months and I am excited!

When things like this happen, I do two things: whine about them and bake. Whining to my friends makes me see things in a different perspective and baking makes me feel better.

I baked some cookies a few weeks back… and it indeed made me feel better, even just for a wee bit. Cookies are made to make life sweeter, right? Right!

So, when the next bad thing rolls around, take a deep breath and bake some cookies.



DSCF0580

 

Chocolate Chip and Butterscotch Cookies

Ingredients
7 tbsp salted butter, slightly melted and cooled
3/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup butterscotch chips

Directions

Preheat oven to 350F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.

Whisk together flour, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl. Set aside.

Beat butter and sugars together until pale. Add  vanilla and egg and mix until incorporated. Add dry ingredients and mix just until there are a few streaks of flour left. Add in semi-sweet chocolate and butterscotch chips. Mix with a wooden spoon just until incorporated.

Scoop cookie dough onto prepared cookie sheet. Place dough balls around 2 inches apart. Bake for 10-12 mins or until edges are brown and set. Don't overbake.

Makes 12 cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment