14.6.11

cupcake project | 2: chocolate surprise cupcake with vanilla buttercream frosting.

Thanks to my new found friend, Aikko, and with the power of Google at my fingertips, I was finally able to make a decent buttercream frosting for my cupcakes!

Yesterday, I finally decided to give buttercream another chance and just threw caution to the wind.

DSCF2257

This is the classic buttercream, some call it American buttercream. To me, it’s just plain buttercream. I was hesitant to give this another try since I was scared as hell that it won’t hold up in the humid weather that Manila is currently sporting. I made this last night, bottled it up and stored it in the fridge. I was yet to make the Chocolate Surprise Cupcakes that two of my friends ordered, so the frosting was of no use. Haha.

I was also test-baking my new electric oven, and I’m glad to say that my cupcakes rose beautifully and baking has never been easier. CHOS. No, I still don’t have a regular gas oven. I just bought a 23-liter oven. It’s still not big enough to fit the standard 12-cup muffin pan, but it’s better than my turbo broiler. It’s a real oven despite its size. Plus, cleaning and putting in/pulling out pans are easier! YAY!

Anyhoo, on to my buttercream. Sharing the recipe now, for those who might need it. ;)
Vanilla Buttercream FrostingAdapted from Bake Happy / Wilton  
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 tsp clear vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1-2 tbsp milk  
Cream butter and shortening together until light and fluffy. Add in vanilla extract, and beat until combined. Gradually add powdered sugar, preferably in 1/4 or 1/2 cup increments. Beat until incorporated. Add in milk, 1 tbsp at a time, until desired consistency is achieved.
 Notes:
· I didn't have shortening on hand, I only had Gold Coast's Butter Oil Substitute (I was intrigued when I saw it in the grocery, so I bought it. Haha). It worked perfectly, so I'm sticking with it. ;) 
· I only used 1 tbsp milk, the consistency was perfect! 
· The only thing I'll probably change is the amount of powdered sugar... My frosting came out a tad too sweet! I'll cut it down to 3 cups or even 2 1/2 cups next time.

DSCF2258

10 comments:

  1. Hi Barbie!! Wow! Congratulations on your new oven!!! Here's to more baking adventures! :)
    Your frosting looks absolutely adorable! No need for a tutorial level na! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thanks, Aikko! :) I still need more practice, though! Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi, may i know what type of oven do you use in baking? is it an electric or gas oven?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi noobaker!

    I'm using an electric oven. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ff up question: how is it in terms of electric usage? i want to buy an oven for home use to bake cakes, cupcakes and food like lasagna, fish etc for my family. would an ordinary electric oven suffice for this purpose or do i need the convection type? or should i get a gas oven? pardon me for asking alot, im a baking noobie ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi noobaker, no problem. :) I'm using a small electric oven, 23L capacity. My electric bill went from around Php800 to Php1500, it really depends on how frequent you use it. I use mine 3-4 times a week. Most electric ovens have roast, bake and broil function, so it can be used for just abt anything. :)

    If you have any questions, you can email me at mail [at] barbiekins [com] :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! Can you give me the recipe of the buttercream frosting if Im going to use the butter oil substitute of gold coast? Do I need to put butter also? Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MaritheaMonet!

      The recipe is the same. Just substitute the shortening for the butter substitute.

      This is exactly what I did in this recipe. Please see notes included at the bottom of the recipe.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  8. Hi Barbiekins, where did you buy your Gold Coast's Butter Oil Substitute? I'm glad I found your blog about this substitute but I can't find it in SM Supermarket.. I am hesitant to use shortening again because my family doesn't like the taste :( Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mimi!

      I bought it from Sweet Craft in Boni. I also found this stocked in Unimart. :) you may also try Crisco butter-flavored shortening or Blue Bonnet margarine sticks :)

      Hope this helps!

      Delete