18.6.11

black bottom cupcakes: the real thing.

I have been wanting to make this cupcake ever since I stumbled on one of the recipes online. Sure, I’ve made a batch or two of my own version using custard instead of cream cheese, but I have always been intrigued.

Why do I keep delaying it, you ask? Cos I rarely buy cream cheese if it’s not really necessary. Haha, I’m frugal that way. So when a colleague asked me to bake a couple for her, I couldn’t resist.

Hmm, so how did it turn out? It turned out beautifully, I say! How I wish I can tell you how delicious and decadent it was, but unfortunately, I never had the chance to taste it. I scaled the recipe to half and I got 12 cupcakes, but they already had owners. I can only look at them and imagine how they taste. Haha.

DSCF2318
Don’t they look lovely?

Anyway, I’m bummed. I still have a lot of things to do at work, and my mind isn’t cooperating so let me just post the recipe.

Black Bottom Cupcakes  
For the cream cheese filling: 
1/2 cup cream cheese
1 egg
1/4 cup sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips  
For the cupcakes: 
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup water
2 1/2 tbsp vegetable/canola oil
1 1/2 tsp vinegar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350F. Line muffin pan with cupcake liners.

Prepare the cream cheese filling:

In a medium bowl, beat all ingredients except chocolate chips until incorporated. Fold in chocolate chips. Set aside.

Make the cupcakes:

In another bowl, whisk flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

In another bowl or measuring glass, whisk water, oil, vinegar and vanilla extract. Add to dry ingredients.

Scoop cupcake batter into cupcake tin until 1/2 full. Top with a tablespoon of cream cheese filling.

Bake at 350F for 18-20 minutes or until tester comes out clean. 

DSCF2321 
** The cream cheese filling should not have covered everything, but it did. I must have over-filled them. Hahaha.

4 comments:

  1. Looks goooooooood! I miss baking, and baking with cream cheese too! Love your new look btw, and congrats on the .com! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Vera! :) go back to baking na kasi! Hehe, buying the domain was long overdue, but finally finally! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been meaning to try this one! The name of the cuppie sounds interesting kasi :) They look so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go try it! :) there are a lot of variations on the web. This is the first one I tried with cream cheese. I normally skip the cream cheese and use custard instead. I'm cheap that way hahaha.

    And like what I said, it should not have looked that way, dapat portion lang nung top ang may cream cheese, but I got giddy, so napadami hehehe. I like it better that way, though. :D

    And lastly, it came out kinda small for a 2-oz cuppie, but it's so heavy! Hahaha. How I wish I was able to taste it though! :))

    ReplyDelete