17.6.11

making a real cake…

…sure wasn't easy.

It is definitely not as easy as making cupcakes.

I tried making a 4-inch Tablea Cake inspired by my Tablea Chocolate Cupcake today. I thought it was easy. I had the tools I THOUGHT I needed – cake batter, frosting, baking pans, spatulas, and even a cake container. But it was not as easy as I thought it was.

I was ambitious, I had envisioned a two-layer cake with all the frills. I baked the cake alright, but I ruined everything the moment I had to remove the cake from the pans. Why? Let me count the ways:

  1. I greased the baking pans, but I neither lined or floured them. Eek. Therefore, releasing the cake from the pan wasn’t that simple.
  2. The cake turned out a bit dry… Then I realized I just used half a stick of butter instead of half a CUP! How can I go wrong with this one?! *scratches head*
  3. I didn’t have a cake leveler, so I “manually” sliced the cake at the middle, resulting to two uneven layers.
  4. I didn’t have a cake board or a turn-table. Frosting was a mess! It was literally all over the place.

Here, look:

DSCF2296
I resolve to make a better cake next time. I swear.


I didn’t let this cake go to waste, though. I brought it to work and it was gone before lunch time. Hee. Yes, it was still delightful. :)

No matter how uneventful any baking attempt goes, I always try to keep a positive outlook. After all, baking takes practice and a lot of patience. Without these (mis)adventures in the kitchen, I wouldn’t know what works… or what doesn’t.

And besides, I wouldn’t call myself or my blog Miss Adventure for nothing. :)

2 comments:

  1. It looks delicious Barbie! Try and try again, I'm sure you'll get the hang of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Aikko! You're so nice hehehe. It was delicious, despite being on the dry side.. But it's not that appetizing to look at hahaha.

    I'm sure I'll get the hang of it, after hmm, probably two or three more times LOL.

    ReplyDelete