23.6.11

cupcake project | 05: marshmallow cupcakes.

Marshmallow cupcakes...


How does that sound to you?

Mighty awesome, yeah?

No, it's not like my Oreo-Graham Marshmallow Cupcake. It's not even the same as S'mores Cupcake.

It's so simple. Think chocolate cupcakes filled with melted marshmallows.

Easy peasy!

24 vanilla cupcakes was too much for me, and I just couldn't finish them all even with the help of my friends at work.

I don't know how I stumbled upon the recipe, I don't even remember where I got it.

All I remember is seeing something pink inside the cupcakes and I knew I'm sold.

Curious yet?



Here's the recipe:

Marshmallow Cupcakes  
For the cupcakes
3/4 cup + 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
a scant 3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
3 tbsp butter, cut into pieces & at room temp
1/2 cup whole milk
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract  
Preheat oven to 325F. Line muffin pan with cupcake liners.  
Mix together flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, salt, sugar, and butter in a bowl. Beat on low speed until sandy in consistency.  
Slowly add milk and vanilla to the flour mixture. Add in egg and beat well.  
Scoop batter into prepare pan until 2/3 full. Bake for 20 mins.  
Cool in pan for 10 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool some more.


Marshmallow Filling 

12 medium colored marshmallows
2-3 tbsp corn syrup
preferred food coloring, if using white marshmallows  
Melt marshmallows, corn syrup, and food coloring, if using  in a double boiler. Stir constantly until melted.  
Once cupcakes are cool, hollow out center of cupcakes and fill with marshmallow filling,  
I initially had a hard time filling the cupcakes since the melted marshmallows can be very sticky. You also have to work quickly as the marshmallows can dry out once exposed to air. If they do dry out, you may reheat it.
Replace "caps" on cupcakes and frost with your favorite frosting.



2 comments:

  1. I love marshmallows and I love cupcakes! :) Yummy and pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete