27.5.11

TPW’s “Life by Chocolate” cupcakes

Last night, I found myself ogling over some recipes online. That’s not new. I actually do that everyday. Yes, every freakin’ day.

Now that my Mexican fascination is over, I went back to my usual chocolate and cupcake crazy self. I know for a fact that I already have a lot of chocolate and cupcake recipes stashed and bookmarked away, which I have yet to try, but there’s no harm in hoarding more, right?

So yeah, I ogled and salivated over a lot of chocolate and cupcake recipes that I didn’t know what to try today.

I slept, as I always do, asking myself the most important question in my baking “career” (as if I can call it a career, but it sounds so nice…) -- “What to bake today?”

Seven or so hours after, the question was still lingering in my head, and I was torn between Ree’s Devil Dogs, Bridget’s Triple Chocolate Muffins, and Ree’s Chocolate Cupcakes. Thinking about it, all three recipes are not too different from each other… So, I just trusted my gut and went with Ree’s Life by Chocolate creation.

And since I didn’t have and didn’t want to buy Hershey’s Kisses, I opted to use a local Filipino favorite – Flat Tops!

DSCF1323

It turned out pretty well. It was perfectly moist. It was just the perfect pair, and had I used Hershey’s Kisses, oh my, it would be even more perfect! Can I say perfect over and over again? Haha.

I didn’t use chocolate ganache to frost the cupcakes, though. I still had some chocolate buttercream left from the vanilla cupcakes I baked earlier this week, and just to amp up the chocolate flavor, I decided to use it all up on these babies. Oh my, oh my, oh my. Chocolate overload, it is!

DSCF1338

Without further ado, here’s my take on Ree’s “Life by Chocolate” Cupcakes.

DSCF1328

Chocolate Cupcakes with "Surprise" Inside
Adapted from Ree, The Pioneer Woman, scaled in half

1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
pinch of salt
1/4 cup buttermilk (did the milk + vinegar method)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
2 (heaping) tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 cup (boiling) water
10 Hershey's Kisses or Flat Tops chocolate, unwrapped

Grease/spray/line muffin pan. Preheat oven to 350F.

Combine sugar, flour, and salt in a bowl. Set aside.

In another bowl, whisk buttermilk, eggs, baking soda, and vanilla extract. Set aside.

Melt butter in a sauce pan over low heat. Add cocoa powder, stirring to combine. Add boiling water, allow to bubble. Stir until incorporated. Turn off heat.

Pour chocolate mixture over flour mixture. Stir to cool chocolate. The batter might seem too thick, but don't fret just yet. Pour buttermilk mixture and stir until just combined.

Using a 1/4 cup dry measuring cup, pour batter into each muffin cup. Lightly set one Kiss or Flat Top in the middle of each cupcake. Don't press down (but because I'm stubborn, I tried, to no avail. The batter was stronger than I was). Ree said it should naturally sink, but mine didn't. Boooo.

Bake for 18-20 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes in pan before transferring to wire rack.

DSCF1325

Once the cupcakes are completely cool, frost with your favorite frosting. Ree used chocolate ganache, and it looked pretty and perfect.

And don't forget to eat to your heart's content. Enjoy the play of chocolate flavors. I was in heaven in half a bite.

Seriously. No kidding.

No comments:

Post a Comment