5.11.11

chocolate crinkles, version 2.

I couldn't get over the success of yesterday's baking attempt that I baked another batch using a different recipe.

The first batch of chocolate crinkles were all gone when I brought it to work, so I thought baking a bigger batch wouldn't hurt.

I was right all along. I brought 24 cookies and more than half of them were gone in less than an hour.

They must be utterly delicious.

Definitely. How can you go wrong with a sinful combination of dark chocolate and dark cocoa powder?

You cannot go wrong. I bet you that.

This batch came out more beautiful than yesterday's -- puffier, chewier and chocolatier. Can anything get better than that?
 
DSCF4053Aren’t they beautiful? 
 
 
I got the recipe from 17 and Baking, but I made some modifications. I just discovered Elissa's blog yesterday and I'm so in awe of her talent. So young yet so full of passion. I wish I were like her when I was younger. Lucky girl, I'm envious that at such a young age she already has a KitchenAid mixer and an ice cream maker! Haha.

Chewy Chocolate Crinkles
Adapted from 17 and Baking
2 oz dark or bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 pc tablea / cacao tablet, finely chopped
6 tbsp cocoa powder, preferably dark
1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
Melt chocolate and tablea in a double boiler or a heatproof bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, mix together cocoa powder, sugar and vegetable oil. Beat in eggs one at a time. Mix in melted chocolate. Beat until combined.
In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; stir to cocoa mixture.
Cover dough with plastic wrap and chill for at least 4 hours.
Place the sifted powdered sugar in a shallow bowl.
Remove chilled dough from the fridge. Lightly grease hands with oil/butter/shortening. Using a [small] ice cream scooper, scoop dough and shape into 1-in balls. Roll in powdered sugar until completely coated. Make sure there are no traces of chocolate showing through. Place sugar-covered balls on the prepared baking sheet, about 2 inches apart.
Bake for 12-14 minutes or just until edges are slightly firm. Do not over-bake!
Cool on wire rack for 5 minutes before removing from baking sheet.
Makes about 2 dozen cookies.

DSCF4056

2 comments:

  1. hi! can i substitute butter to veg. oil? if yes, what's the measurement of the butter then? i tried other recipe already, taste was great but t'was flat! dont know what went wrong :(
    (Im a newbie in baking:)) TIA! God Bless :) -monette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous,

      Sorry it took me too long to reply!

      I haven't tried using butter for this recipe, but you can try using 1/4 c (60ml) melted butter.

      Let me know if it works!

      Thanks!

      Delete