18.11.11

oatmeal walnut cookies.

"It gets better everyday," that's one of my former boss' favorite expressions. Whenever we're faced with challenges in the office, she always reminds us of that phrase.

I'd have to agree. Life gets better everyday... if you're looking at it positively. Glass full, not empty.
My friends always referred to me as the "pensive" one. I worry and whine a lot. I complain before I even get to look at the whole picture.

When I became a trainer, we had to discuss empathy, rapport and positive scripting. Those are my weaknesses. I'm no good at making small talks. Never.

I was always coached on focusing on the "can do" attitude. Instead of focusing on what you CANNOT do, focus on what you CAN do to help.

In the past few weeks, especially ever since I started practicing yoga, I've noticed a few changes in my lifestyle. I am not sure if it's really because of yoga, but I seem to have mellowed out. I complain less and I sleep and wake up a whole lot better.

And more importantly, I'm learning to look at life in a more positive manner.

Good job, good job.
DSCF4166 I’m learning to love myself more… and pampering myself even more. ;)
 
The same idea goes with cooking and baking, I think. The more I cook and bake, the better I become at what I do. Yesterday I even told myself that I have talent -- simply because I have two left feet and I can't carry a note. I sometimes can't distinguish right from left. Seriously!

So I realized, there's something I am good at, other than eating, of course.


Today, I proved myself right -- I tried to bake oatmeal walnut cookies without a recipe. I just followed my gut and threw whatever ingredient I wanted right in the batter.

DSCF4159

The result? Delicious. Not too sweet, not too nutty. They're crispy yet chewy at the same time. Perfectly balanced... and healthy!

Of course, it's fairly similar to any cookie recipe... but it's still my own.

Oatmeal Walnut Cookies 
1 cup + 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/4 tbsp baking soda
pinch of salt
6 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/4 cup granulated white sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
a handful of peanuts, roughly chopped
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips (I used Callebaut) 
Preheat oven 350F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. 
In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside. 
In another bowl, mix together nuts and chocolate chips, set aside. 
In a large bowl, whisk together sugars and melted butter until combined. Add egg and vanilla, beat until incorporated. Stir in flour mixture and mix just until combined. Fold in nuts and chocolate chips. 
Scoop dough onto prepared baking sheet/s, about two inches apart. I used a small ice cream scooper to get uniform sizes. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until edges are golden brown and cookies are slightly set.
DSCF4162

It’s almost my birthday… should I give away some baked goodies? Hmmm.

2 comments:

  1. I must say you are going the right track, slowly - little by little. Growing, in you, confidence is very important when you are working for corporates. When you can say "I CAN" then only things work, otherwise you stay where you were when you first joined.

    ReplyDelete