27.12.11

cupcake project | 10: devil’s food cupcakes.


What is Christmas without chocolate?

Wait, let me rephrase that… What is a day without chocolate?

It’s going to be boring, I bet.

When my Tito Bunnie asked me to bring cupcakes for Christmas dinner, I immediately knew what I was going to bring – red velvets and devil’s food cupcakes. It sounded like the most logical thing to do. Well, for me at least. ;)

When you search Google for “devil’s food cupcakes,” it would give a loooot of recipes. And I mean helluva lot. I’ve already posted a recipe here, taken from David Lebovitz, but since I am me, and I don’t stop searching for recipes I could try… Yeah, you guessed it. I found another recipe. And it’s just one of the best devil’s food cupcakes recipes I’ve tried.

This new recipe is from Zoe Francois, I have been semi-stalking her blog for a few months now and when I saw the title “Not Your Average Devil’s Food Cupcakes,” I knew I just had to try it out.

And I’m not looking back. I think I’ve found the “one.” I’ve baked them six times in one month. ;P

It’s moist and delectable. My family couldn’t stop eating them. Ahh. That’s the best compliment a baker can have.

With Vanilla Buttercream
With vanilla buttercream
Curious yet?


Devil's Food Cupcakes 
Slightly adapted from Zoe Bakes 
Recipe scaled down to make 6-8 cupcakes 
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup + 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/4 cup + 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder (unsweetened or Dutch-process)
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 large egg
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup hot brewed coffee 
Preheat oven to 350F. Line muffin pan with cupcake liners. 
In a medium bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients until combined. Set aside. 
Whisk together, eggs, milk, oil and vanilla until well combined. Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth. Slowly add the hot coffee to the batter and whisk until totally blended and smooth, about 2 minutes. The batter will be quite runny. 
Fill a measuring cup with the batter and fill muffin wells until about 2/3 to 3/4 full. 
Bake cupcakes for about 18-20 minutes, or until tester comes out clean. 
Cool cupcakes in pan for about 5-10 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely. 
Frost with your favorite frosting. I usually use cream cheese, vanilla buttercream, and marshmallow buttercream.

With Peanut Butter Buttercream
With peanut butter buttercream

No comments:

Post a Comment