26.12.11

cupcake project | 09: red velvet cupcakes for christmas.

Happy Christmas, everyone! :)

shot_1324737450071

How’d you guys spend Christmas?

Our family has Christmas traditions that I haven’t “followed” since I started working. When I was younger, we would go to Manila to spend Christmas with my Dad’s clans from the father and mother’s side.

We usually have Christmas eve lunch with the Jaranillas – my grandpa’s side. I haven’t joined Christmas lunch in a very long time since I usually have work during the holidays. I know, sucks to be me, right? LOL.

This year, we had Christmas dinner instead. I travelled through EDSA on Dec 24th – it was such a pain in the a** having to take the bus. They take forever!

Christmas dinner was spent at my Tito’s “new” house in Alabang. I said “new” cos it used to be my Lolo and Lola’s house (my Dad’s parents) and when they both passed away, the siblings put the property up for sale. My Tito Bunnie, Dad’s brother, bought the house and had it renovated. It looks so different now – more spacious and airy. I failed to take photos, though. Hehe.

Anyway, Christmas dinner was great. All families brought their share. I did, too! I brought Devil’s Food  and Red Velvet Cupcakes.

Christmas eve was spent at the Fort, at my Tita Yolly’s house/condo in the Pacific Plaza. We had drinks and a few pica-pica.

C360_2011-12-25 00-25-07
Our chosen poison. ;)
Christmas is all about tradition in my family. There are just some food that can’t go missing during the holidays – Lola Ems’ American Lumpia, Del Monte’s Ham (the BESSSSSSST!), Arroz Caldo, Castanas, and Turkey, to name a few.

And I guess I’ll start my own tradition – Red Velvet! I finally found the best recipe. ;) I used two recipes – one from Betty Crocker and the other from Joy the Baker. :)

DSCF4271
Moist and surprisingly wonderful.


Red Velvet Cupcakes
Slightly adapted from Joy the Baker and Betty Crocker 
2 tbsp red food color
2 tsp vanilla
1/4 + 2 tbsp cup unsweetened baking cocoa
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 tbsp white vinegar
Preheat oven to 350F. Line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
In a small bowl, whisk together vanilla extract, food coloring, and  cocoa power.  The mixture will become a thick paste.  Set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda.  Set aside.
In another bowl, using an electric mixer (I used my trusty hand mixer) beat together butter and brown sugar.  Beat on medium speed until slightly pale and fluffy, it took me around 5-7 minutes.
Beat in eggs, one at a time, beat well between each addition.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
Beat in the cocoa powder paste.  Beat well to incorporate.
Add half of the flour mixture.  Beat batter on low speed while adding half of the milk.  Scrape the sides of the bowl to incorporate everything. Add the remaining flour and beat on low speed while adding the remaining milk.
Add the vinegar.  Beat well.
Using an ice cream scooper, scoop batter into muffin tins, up to about 2/3 full. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until tester comes out clean.
Allow to cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes before transferring to wire rack. Make sure the cupcakes are completely cooled before frosting.
Marshmallow Buttercream 
1 jar (7 1/2 oz) marshmallow creme
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
* I didn't have marshmallow creme on hand, I used:
16 large white marshmallows
2 tbsp corn syrup
Melt marshmallows and corn syrup on a double boiler (or in the microwave for 60 seconds). Once marshmallows are puffy, remove from heat and stir with a rubber spatula. Let cool.
 
In large bowl, beat marshmallow creme/melted marshmallows and butter with electric mixer until smooth. Beat in powdered sugar until smooth. Spoon 1 heaping tablespoon frosting onto each cupcake, swirling frosting with back of spoon.
DSCF4276

2 comments:

  1. Gimme gimme gimme! Haha Merry Christmas Barbie! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Krissy! Sige, eto nalang bigay ko sayo :)

    Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete