23.2.12

gooey no-yeast cinnamon rolls.

I haven’t been blogging lately. I know… I wanted to, but I just didn’t have anything new or fascinating to post about. I haven’t tried a new recipe, either. Oh, except maybe for that successful marshmallow frosting I did last week. By successful, I mean to say that it actually piped nicely, but wasn’t too stable to hold its shape. Still practicing. I guess I could only do well with whipping egg whites once I get my own KitchenAid. Dear Lord, please please please?


Anyway, after that eclair mishap last time, I steered away from trying it again. I made cinnamon rolls instead! No waiting needed, really. Just make the dough, knead for a few minutes, fill and roll and bake! It’ll be ready in 30 minutes. That easy. :)


I’ve tried making no-yeast cinnamon rolls before but they turned out kinda hard, almost rock hard. I never tried again. I have no luck in making yeast breads, and I’m always on the lookout for no-yeast recipes. Imagine my glee when I found a recipe which looked like “real” cinnamon rolls. I have to try it myself… and try I did two weeks ago.


The verdict? It’s soft and gooey, especially when warm. They’re the best antidote to a mean cinnamon craving. They’re delish on their own, I have yet to try it with cream cheese frosting. I bet they’ll be amazing.


cinnamon I need more practice in rolling out the dough. Hehe.

Gooey No-Yeast Required Cinnamon Rolls
From Iowa Girl Eats who got it from In Jennie's Kitchen 
Filling:
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp butter, melted
 
Dough:
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour, plus more for rolling out dough
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
5 tbsp butter, melted and divided
 
Icing:
3oz cream cheese, softened
4 tbsp buttermilk
1 cup powdered sugar
 
Preheat oven to 425. Combine filling ingredients in a small bowl, then mix with a fork until well blended. Set aside. 
In a another larger bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. 
Whisk together buttermilk and 4 tbsp melted butter in a measuring cup, then pour into the middle of the dry ingredients. Stir together until dough just comes together (do not overmix.) 
Knead slightly with your hands until the dough forms into a ball, then slice it in half. 
On a lightly floured surface, roll each half into a 12×8″ rectangle (think slightly longer than a sheet of paper.) Press half the filling mixture into the center, leaving 1/4″ of the dough clear on all 4 sides, then roll like a sausage. Pinch together seam, trim ends and cut into 8 slices. Repeat with the other dough half, then place rolls in a non-stick sprayed 11×8″ pan, or an 8×8 and 6×4″ pan. 
Brush cinnamon rolls with remaining Tablespoon of melted butter and bake for 15 minutes, or until tops are golden brown. 
Meanwhile, to make the icing, mash together softened cream cheese and powdered sugar with a fork until smooth. Whisk in buttermilk, 1 tbsp at a time, until creamy. Drizzle onto hot cinnamon rolls and spread evenly.
cinnamon2 Up close and personal. It may not look good, but I’m telling you… It’s the bomb! :D

cinnamon3 What’s left of it the morning after.


No comments:

Post a Comment