23.2.11

today's baking challenge: mini cinnamon rolls.

I have been fussing over what to bake last weekend and something inside me was just itching to make some cinnamon rolls. Uh, well, I have been wanting to make some ever since I watched Rachel Allen's Bake! episode with Cinnamon Pecan Buns. I thought it was very easy to make (she made it seem so!), but when I checked recipes online, it seemed like a daunting task.

Rolling and kneading doughs intimidate me. I really don't know why, but I think it's hard and requires too much effort. And then there's yeast! I am a very impatient and I don't like waiting too long a time to complete something. Isn't that a bit ironic? Yeah, I think so too. Hehe.

Anyway, last night's thought came like an epiphany of some sort. I challenged myself to make some cinnamon rolls for today. I was even more convinced when I found a no yeast recipe.

So yes, today, I trashed my fears and was able to overcome the baking challenge.


They weren't bad for a first timer. I just need to make sure that I remove the buns from the pan immediately after they come out of the oven and maybe I have to cut down the baking time a little bit. Next time. :)

Here's the recipe I got from Food.com (my notes in italics):
Dough
2 cups flour
2 tablespoons sugar (The finished product wasn't very sweet, I think adding a tablespoon more wouldn't hurt)
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup milk

Filling
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup brown sugar
3 teaspoons cinnamon

Glaze
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk

  • For the filling, in a small bowl combine softened butter, brown sugar and cinnamon to form a crumbly mixture. 
  • Sprinkle 1/2 of the mixture over the bottom of a 9x9 pan.  
  • In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. 
  • Cut in softened butter (sometimes your hands are the best tools). 
  • Stir in milk to form a soft dough. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface into a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick. I had a hard time rolling out the dough cos it was so sticky, I had to add in more flour -- I can't remember how much though. Hehe.  
  • Spread the remaining filling on the rolled out dough.  
  • Roll up the rectangle and with a sharp knife slice into 18 small rolls (12 if you want them a little bigger). 
  • Bake for 20-25 min at 400°F. I baked them at 160C for 20 mins but the rolls came out toasted, I should have cut down the baking time to 15 mins.
  • For the glaze, combine powdered sugar and milk in a small bowl and stir until smooth.  
  • Once rolls are finished, drizzle on glaze and serve warm.

I no longer made the glaze, I think it was perfect on its own. Just a few notes:

  • Next time, I should add in a little more sugar and cinnamon to the dough so that the sweetness will be just right.
  • The buns weren't soft, I guess I need to cut down the baking time and maybe tweak the recipe a little bit more.
  • Remove the buns immediately after they come out of the oven! You wo
  • The filling would've been perfect with a few nuts and raisins. :)



Really not bad for a first try.

What baking challenges have you guys taken lately?



No comments:

Post a Comment