6.4.11

white chocolate cupcakes.

Because I can't get over how "off" my cupcake tops look like (even though they're really tasty..) I tried baking another batch of cupcakes earlier today.

The moment I woke up and stood up from my "banig" of a bed, I knew something was wrong. I just couldn't tell then, but something was definitely waiting to happen.

And because I'm a fan of multi-tasking, I was also thawing out the chicken fillets I was going to use for Chicken Cordon Bleu while preparing the cupcake batter.

I was almost done with the cupcake mix when it happened. I was just washing some of the baking stuff when I suddenly hit the faucet with the chopping board.. And the faucet came off. Just like that!

Anyway, I didn't let that mishap stop me from completing what I was set out to do - bake the cupcakes and prepare the chicken for tonight's lunch (I know, it sounds weird but I work at night, so go figure.)

The cupcakes were almost perfect. Yes, just almost, because the tops are still off! Look -


It must be the type of oven I'm using - convection/fan-forced. So what to do next time? I'm thinking slow baking in a much, much lower temperature. And make sure there's a foil covering the stuff being baked to prevent the heat from being fanned to these delicate goodies.

We'll see how it goes....

I made white chocolate cupcakes today sans the frosting. I have been wanting to make these forever ago and when I saw my friend, Res, post photos of her white chocolate cupcakes, I knew I had to give it a go.
 
And since I owe this blog a recipe, let me try my best to write down what I just did with this recipe. I adapted this from a recipe I found on Baking Bites, but I altered some stuff -- scaled the recipe in half and I stayed away from using the mixer, thus, no creaming involved. Hah!


3/4 cup cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
75 grams butter
85 grams sugar
1 large egg
56 grams white chocolate, chopped
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk

  1. If you're using a conventional oven, pre-heat oven to 175C. I pre-heated mine to just 125C. Line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
  2. In a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
  3. In another bowl, whisk egg and sugar until well combined or sugar granules are dissolved.
  4. Mix milk, white chocolate, and butter in a sauce pan and bring to a simmer, until chocolate and butter are melted. Whisk carefully until well combined.
  5. Alternately mix flour and milk mixture to the egg-sugar mixture, starting and ending with the flour. Mix everything until combined, do not overmix.
  6. Using an ice cream scoop, scoop mixture to muffin tins until 2/3 full. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until toothpick/skewer comes out clean or with very few crumbs.
  7. Cool in pan for 3-5 minutes before removing and cooling them on wire rack.
You may want to frost these goodies with cream cheese frosting, or any frosting of your choice. I left them plain -- because I still had chicken waiting on the kitchen counter! :p

What to do with these awkward-looking tops??


I know they're not as white -- they look more like vanilla cupcakes, yes? Next time, I'll use more white chocolate!

No comments:

Post a Comment