26.4.11

eggless chocolate cupcake.

I wasn’t really planning on baking these eggless cupcakes, but what do you know, I forgot to check my “stock” before going to the supermarket last night. As it turned out, I only had 2 eggs left, and I still had an order of macaroons to make. That means I don’t have any spare eggs for my chocolate craving. I was bent on making brownies or another cupcake recipe but.. I didn’t have enough eggs. Gaaah.

So, what does one do to scratch the itch of baking another chocolate cupcake?

a. Go to the nearest sari-sari store (neighborhood store);
b. Search the WWW for eggless cupcakes;
c. Forget about the itch.

I could’ve easily chosen A as the store was just around the corner – a measly 2-3 minutes walk from my apartment. But I did not. I am too lazy for that.

I just can’t forget about my craving, can I?

Yes! I definitely went with option B. I searched high and low for a good eggless chocolate cupcake recipe. It wasn’t that hard, I came across one within minutes. I’m not sure if this will be a favorite when “eggless” situations happen. You know me, I am in constant search of the “best” recipes. ;)
 DSC05879 Look Ma, I finally piped frosting nicely!

I got this recipe from one of the posts I saw on Foodista.

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup buttermilk (to substitute: 1 cup milk + 1 tsp vinegar/lemon juice, let sit for 10-15 minutes)
1 tsp vinegar
6 tbsp strong coffee (liquid)
6 tbsp canola oil (or any flavorless oil)
2 3/4 tbsp semi-sweet chocolate chips / semi-sweet chocolate, chopped finely 
Preheat oven to 175C. Line muffin pan with cupcake liners.

Prepare your favorite coffee. I just used strong instant coffee as I don't have any coffee maker (yet). Set aside.

In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cocoa powder, salt. and brown sugar.

In another bowl, mix milk, vinegar, coffee, and oil. Stir well to incorporate everything. Make sure that the oil no longer separates from the rest of the ingredients.

Mix wet ingredients with the dry ingredients. Stir slowly, in one direction. Once batter is incorporated, add in chopped chocolate chips.

Pour in batter into prepared muffin pan. You can use a liquid measuring cup (with a beak) or a 1/4 cup measuring cup. Only pour until 1/2 - 2/3 full.

Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until tester comes out clean.

Frost with your favorite frosting. In my case, I used my go-to rich chocolate frosting. :)
DSC05883 Which one’s better?







Eggless Chocolate Cake


No comments:

Post a Comment