7.12.10

revel bars.

As promised, here's the recipe for the Revel Bars I tried (emphasis on tried, hehe) to make last night.

No, it wasn't as successful as I wanted it to be. The first batch turned out to be a bit too crumbly, I guess I have to reduce the amount of oats since I used rolled oats. And maybe cut the baking time to 25-30 minutes.

I tried giving it another try earlier today -- I didn't miss out on the milk this time, I can't say how it turned out yet. I kept it in the fridge since I was in a rush to get ready for our company's Christmas Party.  Hehe.

Anyway, here's the recipe - got it from All Recipes.


3 c quick cooking oats
2 1/2 c all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 c butter, softened
2 c packed brown sugar
2 eggs
4 tsp vanilla extract
1  can sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 c semisweet chocolate chips
2 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 175 degrees C. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.


In a large bowl, beat together 1 cup butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Mix in eggs and 2 teaspoons vanilla. In another bowl, combine oats, flour, baking soda, and 1 teaspoon salt; stir into butter mixture. Set aside.


In a medium saucepan, heat sweetened condensed milk, chocolate chips, 2 tablespoons butter, and 1/2 teaspoon salt over low heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat. Stir in walnuts and 2 teaspoons vanilla.


Pat 2/3 of the oat mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Spread chocolate mixture evenly over the top, and dot with remaining oat mixture.


Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in preheated oven. Let cool on a wire rack, then cut into bars.


Some revisions:

- I used bittersweet chocolate chunks and added a bit of sugar.
- Opted for rolled oats instead of the quick cooking kind.
- I only had peeled peanuts available. Hehe.

The first batch of revel bars still tasted good - but it's not close to the revel bars I'm used to. So I'm calling them Oatmeal Bars. Hehe.

I'll let you know later how the second batch turned out. I hope they're better. :D


No comments:

Post a Comment