11.12.10

peanut butter cookies.

I've been sick since Wednesday -- flu and diarrhea got me. I still dunno if it's tummy flu, gotta have it checked tomorrow.

And because I am sick, I haven't been able to bake. The last time I baked was on Monday, a few hours before our company Christmas party. I still need to try baking those revel bars again, they just didn't cut it for me. This is seriously one expensive hobby. Haha.

Well, expensive but truly rewarding... especially after trying out the finished product. ;)

Anyway, I tried making some peanut butter cookies yesterday. I baked them today. The result? Surprising.

Why? Cos after baking them for 12 minutes, the center was unbelievably soft and I was sure that it was another epic fail. I trusted my guts (and the recipe, since it called for 10-12 minutes baking time) and cooled the cookies on the sheet for 2 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool some more. And the finished product was delicious!

Cooling time is longer than the usual cookies, it takes time for the cookie to harden. Lift them away from the rack too early, and they break. So, to be sure, cool them on the rack for 30 minutes or longer. That's just for me, at least. ;)

packed and ready to sell.


Anyway, here's the recipe I got from All Recipes.

3/4 c unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 c light brown sugar
1/2 c granulated white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
3/4 c peanut butter (smooth or crunchy)
2 c all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c chopped peanuts or 1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C) and place rack in center of oven. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

In the bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the butter and sugars until light and fluffy (about 2 - 3 minutes). Beat in the peanut butter. Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat to combine. In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to the peanut butter mixture and beat until incorporated. Fold in the chopped peanuts or chocolate chips. (If the batter is too soft to form into balls, place in the refrigerator for about an hour or until firm.)

Roll the batter into 1 inch (2.5 cm) balls. Transfer the cookies to the prepared baking sheet, placing about 2 inches (5 cm) apart. Then, using the tines of the fork that has been dipped in white granulated sugar, make a crisscross pattern. 

Bake the cookies for about 10 to 12 minutes, or until the cookies are lightly browned around the edges. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Can be stored at room temperature, in an airtight container, for about a week. Freeze for longer storage.

Makes about 40 cookies -- or more, in my case.


I am entirely unsure if the center should be soft once done. I also forgot to make that crisscross pattern, I was just excited -- all of the recipes I have checked have this -- maybe it's really how a peanut butter cookie should look like. Haha.

Oh, and yeah, the cookies turned out great -- soft, chewy, and melt-in-your-mouth goodness. Yummmm. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment