16.11.10

Choco-Butterscotch Brownies

Hooray for me!

I have successfully, for me at least, baked chocolate butterscotch brownies. As usual, I got the recipe from Miss Connie's site. And I am so happy that for the first time, I was able to finish it without having to do a double-take. Hehehe. My only mistake was forcing all the batter in one 8x8in pan. I never learn. It could've been better if I used two pans.

Anyway, here's the recipe:

1 stick butter
(If you're using one block, just use half of it.)
1 3/4c dark brown sugar
1 1/2c all-purpose flour
2tsp baking powder
1tsp salt
2tsp vanilla extract
1/3 of a 500g bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped

The original recipe calls for 170g of dark chocolate, but since I didn't have a weighing scale and dark chocolate, I just used what I had on hand. But it worked, so no sweat. :)


Grease two 8x8in pans. If you have a larger pan, 9x5in or 10x6in would be better. Preheat oven at 170C.


Melt butter in a saucepan and let cool. Stir the brown sugar after around 10 minutes.


In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, and salt.


Melt chocolate in a bowl placed over simmering water. Once all the chocolate has melted, let cool for about 10 minutes.


Add the eggs to the butter-sugar mixture, one at a time. Beat the mixture after each addition.


Add the flour mixture to the butter-sugar-egg mixture and stir until completely blended. The mixture would be thick (and yes, very challenging to mix if you don't have a mixer!). Add vanilla and mix until blended.


Transfer half of the batter to another bowl. Add the chocolate in one of the bowls, and mix well.


Spoon mixture alternately in baking pans. To create a "marbled" effect, dip a pointed knife into one corner of the pan, drag to the opposite end, make a U-turn to return to the opposite direction. Do this until the whole pan is covered.


Just fill up to 1/2 to 2/3 of pan. Don't fill it to the edge, promise, you wouldn't want the cake/brownie to puff and break at the top just like what happened to mine.


Bake for about 20-25 mins or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Leave pan in the oven for about 5-10 mins. Cool on wire rack before cutting into squares. I chilled it in the fridge for about 4 hrs before cutting. And after they were cut, I chilled it again to make sure the chocolate doesn't melt.




The verdict? Awesome gooey goodness! The people at work loved it.






Now I have a reason NOT to buy butterscotch in Bacolod - I can make my own! :))

No comments:

Post a Comment